BabyOpakapaka

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Oh where do I begin today!!! It has been the most emotional day I have had so far. I didn't even get this emotional with BN1.

The midwife arrived first thing to weigh BN2, I didn't have to ring the number, as she arrived so early. (So early in fact I was still in bed!!) BN2 has now lost 1lb since birth. He really should have started to put weight back on by now. We checked and double checked the scales, on various surfaces, but the weight was the same. We were all a bit concerned.

After a discussion on feeding the new plan was to express a couple of ounces and feed him from a bottle. At least that way we could see how much he was actually having, and with that the midwife said she would come back on Thursday to repeat the wighing, and hopefully see some weight gain. She also said that I must feed every 3 hours, and wake him if necessary, hopefully this will also help BN2 distinguish between night and day.

...Tears....I feel like a failure, it was so easy last time, why can't I do it.

I managed to express 3ozs and BN2 quite easily took the 2ozs that the midwife asked. And he seemed very settled after that. Hooray we are on the road to recovery.

3 hours later... expressed another 3ozs from "the other one" successfully and BN2 fed well. Again, Hooray!!!

...Tears....again

With suprisingly little effort I actually made it out of the house to meet up with the antenatal group. I suppose this is where experience helps (but I only had 1 to get out of the house, it will be different when I have to get 2 out of the house).

Anyway, having had a very nice time catching up with the girls and being cheered up, and a good photo opportunity with the little ones, I with hubby, and BN2, collected BN1 from nursery. My first trip to collect him, and obviously show off the little one!! BN1 was very excited that I collected him, so much so he ran towards me, as much as a 19 month old can run!!

Top Tip: When going out, and having got your bag of tricks ready for the first, after you return home replace anything you have used, so that your bag is ready for next time that you go out.

...Tears....again

Hubby has been great today. He said he has been pleased he has been at home, especially as today has been so difficult, and emotional for me.

...Tears.... again

Have gone to express again and only got 1oz... That's not enough to feed a growing little boy. Have gone to the cupboard to open my emergency supply of formula, only to find there was no seal on it....It must have been like that since March 06 when I switched to Cows milk with BN1. So it's going to have to go in the bin... but that means that I have no formula for BN2, looks like its a mad dash to Tesco's. Thank you for 24hr shopping.

Decided to buy Aptamel. Only because my local baby clinic sells it cheaper than Tesco's. No other reason. Have already sterilised the bottles and boiled the water, so it should have been cool by the time I got home... and it was.

Have given BN2 his first bottle of formula. He seems fine with it. In fact today seems to have been a better day with reagrd to feeding. BN2 seems to be much more settled. But I have noticed that my boobs still haven't filled up and I am not experiencing any discomfort.

9pm.... and another formula feed. Nothing is coming when I am trying to express. How strange. The only difference between feeding with BN1 and BN2 is that with BN1 after giving birth I reverted back to my pre-pregnant dowse of thyroxine. This time the consultant (a different one to last time) said to stay on the same, increased dose for 6 weeks, and then he would do a review. Come to think of it my weight loss has been rapid too. I am lighter now than I was before I had BN1, and I am back in normal clothes easily - too easily I expect. Also my asthma has returned and is giving me a lot of grief. Last time it gave me this much grief was when I was first put onto thyroxine at a level which was subsequently found to be too high. On getting the thyroxine to the correct level the asthma disappeared.

Hubby has looked on the internet and googled thyroxine and breastfeeding and found that someone else has experienced the same problems as me showing a connection betweed reduced breast milk production and excessive levels of thyroxine. A trip to the doctors is required tomorrow to discuss this, and hopefully sort it out.

Wish me luck...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home