BabyOpakapaka

Friday, October 20, 2006

For those who have posted comments... sorry for the delay in getting this online.. its been a busy few days!!!! Catching up now!!

This part of the blog is written with help form my husband who was slightly more aware of events after reacning the hospital than I was.

I arrived at hospital at 3pm just as visiting was starting (not recommended as a good time to arrive, due to parking being a nightmare), and to make things worse as the shift was changing.

I was taken to the Delivery Suite, and shown to a room, where I had to wait for a midwife. On the way to the room though, I saw a strange sight!!!! One of the girls from my antenatal group, well her name was up on a board to say she was in, was actually going to be in the room next door to me!!

In walks a midwife, who was just going off shift, and presented me with a bottle to pee into.. something which I never actually got around to doing!!! That midwife wasnt seen again as the midwife just coming on shift walked in. So, anyway the midwife decides she is just going to monitor baby and I to make sure that the baby isn't distressed and take a look at how my contractions are, and whether I am just being a bit soft!!! Before what I imagined to happen was to be sent home agin for a coupe of hours, afterall that is what happened with BN1. the said midwife was barking mad, in a good way, before the end of the first 10 minutes we were singing Sam Cooke classics!!!! After judging her in seconds I thought I wasn't going to like her, and that I wanted to go home, but soon we were laughing and taking my mind off things, which was good cos I was petrified. Petrified because, alothugh this was BN2, as husband kept reminding me that I had done it all before, if finally dawned on me how little I remembered about the birth of BN1!!!

Anyway I get hooked up to the monitor and the paper work begins - but you guessed it - there were no signs of any contractions on the monitor!!! Ooh bugger! But I just knew it couldn't be right - cos I knew I was definitely having contractions, and just to reassure me, the midwife said she could see them across my bump, and from the expression on my face, and changes in my breathing that I was definitely having them!!! So it was time for an internal examination!!! Hooray... NOT!

Hooray at last, the proof I needed - I was already 6cm dilated. I was only expecting to be 2 or 3 based on the contractions not registering on the machine. The earlier walk must have helped a bit. So it was a pleasant suprise. But there was a slight problem. Only slight though. Like BN1 my waters were bulging and holding baby back. Midwife asked if she could break my waters. based on how long it took for them to go with BN1, I looked at hubby and he nodded, so I said yes, and with that they were gone!! I was a bit apprehensive cos I knew that with baby being on my cervix the contractions would come thick and fast, and painfully!!! (I think the midwife would have broken them anyway!!) There was a mighty gush of water that suprised even the midwifes. The wierd thing that I didnt experience with BN1 was the occassional leak of fluid on a cough, or laugh. I didnt like that too much!!.

By nw it was about 4:30, time flies when you're having fun! and I was offered Entinox. I felt like I was coping okay with Tens machine up until that point, but a little Entinox would help!!! And I didn't need to ask about an epidural, I was well beyond being able to have one of them!!

The Entinox was good, eventually, but I felt really sick with it for the first half hour or so, and my mout went really dry... and come to mention it, it did also give me a headache, but the midwife made me persist and eventually all those feelings passed. But the contractions came thick and fast and the pain increased. Midwife was v authouritive in getting me to use the Entinox correctly. She kept saying "If I can hear you talking then you arent using it properly". She had a point!

After initially starting on Entinox, Pethidine was my choice of drug!!! But whilst waiting for the Pethidinie I had a bizarre conversation with hubby along the lines of:

Before the midwife leaves the room she discuss the vitamin K consent form , which I have to read and sign.... like I can be bothered right now. So hubby reads it to me... like I'm listening!!! and then I ask him is it okay if I sign it, he says yes, so I sign it.... what a ridiculous time to get me to sign a bloody form!!!


Meanwhile I say to Hubby: "Where's the midwife with the pethidine?" It felt like she had been gone ages.
Hubby: Gone to the Cupboard.
Midwife (Shouts into room): In the cupboard.
Me: How far away is the damn cupboard, she's been ages

Thankfully hubby and midwife could see the funny side.

Another conversation hubby reminds me of:
Hubby: It's okay. you'll be fine. You've done it before.
Me: But I don't remember so it doesn't count.

Eventually the Midwife return and administers the pethidine, and shortly after baby and I begin to feel sleepy. Who knows what time it is now!!!

Aaahh push time!!! But before I can do that the Midwife asks if a student Midwife can deliver the baby. Again a stupid time to ask such an important question. I looked at Hubby for a reassuring nod again. He nodded. So I agreed. But only on one condition. She had to deliver baby in 30 minutes.!!! So no pressure then. I think I even managed to chuckle about my unrealistic goal!!! But a girl could hope.

Now it was time to push! Yep that hurt quite a bit.

All 3, hubby, midwife and student midwife were very encouraging in the later stages of my labour. And just under an hour after the student midwife had arrived baby William James was born.... all of a sudden... gush.. a torrent of fluid followed Williams arrival... and it went everywhere. William learnt to swim and gargle and cry all at the same time. What a star!!. Even my experienced midwife hadn't seen such a gush of waters before. It went everywehere.. oh well it wasn't my job to clean up!!! After a quick injection shortly after the placenta was delivered. That was more painful than I remembered from last time.. but as I said before I didn't remember much! And then the stiching began. For what it was worth - I only needed a couple.

William James has a fine pair of lungs, even managing to scream when covered in the gush of waters, and he scored a perfect 10 on his AGPAR score, but the shockwas yet to come. He weighed in at 9lbs 14ozs!!! and 57cm long. A whole pound heavier that his brother, and 1 cm longer. But born at nearly the same time of day 18:48. (His brother was born at 18:47)

A shower, tea and toast, and bonding time soon followed for William, Mum and Dad. News and Congratulations were soon exchanged with the girl I knew in the room next door. the student midwife helped deliver her little boy shortly after I had delivered. 2 of us on the same day!!!

I headed up to the ward at around 10:30. I was placed in a bed opposite where I was after having BN1, and there was no one else in my section of 4 beds. Looked like I was going to get a quiet night!!! No doubt I would be seeing the other new born baby and his mum up on the ward in the morning.

A short while after hubby had gone, and before I had got to sleep, there was another admittance on to my section of the post natal suite, another of the girls from my ante-natal group had also delivered on the same day!! This time it was a little girl. Fancy that 3 of us on the same day.

Then it was finally off to sleep, with the help of a little paracetemol.

1 Comments:

  • congratulations! You write it very well - made me laugh - now I remember why I'm not having any more!

    By Blogger devongirlie, at 9:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home